Sunday, October 28, 2007

Only Two Kinds of People in the World

There are only two kinds of people in the world: those who, guilt free, take advantage of another's offer to pay for dinner, and those who feel restricted and can't order what they really want because they feel they have to get something cheap so as not to offend the generous friend. I have a staunch, undefiled record of being the former, as my wife can attest (usually while frowning and burying her face in her left hand).
I recite an event from my middle school years. Someone offered me a candy bar, a Butterfinger if I remember correctly. Without hesitating, I accepted the candy bar and continued on my way down the hall. A friend of mine, who was walking with me, looked at me in disgust and, with characteristic eloquence, blurted, "You butt-faced mooch!"
"I'm sorry. Do you want to split it?" I replied, as any friend would.
"Well...no...I don't...I don't even like Butterfingers!"
"Then what are you getting all uppiddy about?"
"I don't know. But you're still a butt-faced mooch!"
Ironically, it was this same friend who took my family and I out to dinner the other night. I had spaghetti with meatballs.

2 comments:

Matt said...

It was a baby ruth.

Bum said...

Caden is following after his dad. He mooched candy off of total strangers on the street on Halloween. They were practically begging him to take more.