Saturday, January 30, 2010

Life without the internet is like a night without stars: dark, dreary, cold.
My computer was having a panic attack from the traveling I put it through during the Christmas break. When I came back to Virginia, it simply decided to quit altogether. It took nearly an enitre month to find someone who could fix it. Now, I'm back online and am happier than ever.

The biggest reason I missed my http://www.(fill-in-the-blank) was the lack of communication I had with my family. Being able to use the webcam to talk to my wife and kids is almost as good as being there (almost). Of course, when the connection goes weird and the sound and the video are out of sync it's not as pleasant.

Another reason I dig the web is to look up stuff. Holy cow, how many times in the last four weeks have I wanted to know something and been completely helpless. I called my wife in Indiana to ask her for the phone number to Domino's Pizza here in Virginia Beach.

I'll tell you what though, this past month I never would have been able to read The Picture of Dorian Gray or Great Expectations if I had Hulu and Youtube.

2 comments:

The Caldwell's said...

Yay for the internet! We all miss you too Cameron. Hope to see ya in Feb.
I don't do much on the internet besides checking my email, update my blog and facebooking...but it's still a nice break during the day.
That's funny you called Ai for a Pizza number...

Anonymous said...

Hey Cameron, I have to say this:...Its more of a scratching off my back but i need to convey this idea to all my friend's and family(in which we have in common but will never know each other,otherwise.) I apologize for my weird prying first off. But, you(I feel) should always teach your kids to go to a Yellow Pages first off. I only feel I should stress this because(other than:I feel more should be better with paper texts) a friend of mine has shown me his children can locate almost anything - that common men look for - faster than the net. And he proved it right upon the words that we usually take for granted.He mainly said it was because instead of reading his kids the normal "giving tree" type of material he would read them the yellow pages but made it interesting to them. Yes, it takes a bit more imagination on the parents part but if you have some to spare for your children then you might be able to harness this little learning tech for your child and yourself as well.Its funny to see people use the Yellow pages to teach a kid reading and commons sense at the same time but if done right its so great its almost undeniable once utilized.